Monday, January 22, 2007

Back from the dead

Wow... been really busy for the past two weeks. It was really bad, particularly because AL couldn't work in the cafe so I had to do that, take a 3-hour break while HN sets up the restaurant for me, and then work in the restaurant. It really took away whatever time I figured I would have to complete my essays.

At the same time, people came to tear down the plaster in my room and re-plaster and paint, so I had to move my stuff to the kitchen and NH's room. And sleep in a sleeping bag in his room as well, but I didn't get to sleep for 4 days because I was basically going to work, coming home after 11pm and then camping in the kitchen with my laptop until it was time to go to work again the next morning. That, and yet I still couldn't finish one of the three essays by the deadline. I had to give that up and hand it in a day late... was really disappointed in myself. Not so much for not being able to finish, but for procrastinating and leaving the work till so late.

Now my room is finally done, and I can move back, but the wardrobe is still mouldy, so I still can't put clothes in it. Going to just move my laptop and stuff back later, and put the bedsheets on so I can finally sleep in my own room tonight! But I'm going to miss sleeping in the very warm and comfy sleeping bag, although I won't miss the backache from sleeping on the floor.

I could have moved back sooner, but I was busy with the first week of school and for the last three days or so NH took over my room to finish his assignment (his room's in a complete mess now with my stuff cluttering it). But he's finally handed it in today, and I will gradually move out of his room (except my luggage with all the clothes piled on it).

The recital at which I accompanied two singers went really well. There was a last-minute change of piece at the end of last term by one of the singers, which I didn't have the time to practise during the holidays... and when school started, I had a day to practise it before rehearsing it with her the day before the recital. It was really nerve-racking, but I'm glad I managed it. And didn't break down, just had some minor mistakes... which the professional accompanist also had when he played for the singer who abandoned me. So, just goes to show... I'm not that bad afterall! (Saving my own face here la.) Both singers were really sweet and they bought me chocolates; the nicer one of the two bought a really box of chocolate and a really pretty card.

I can finally breathe again this week (or at least for now, I just hope the rest of the week will be ok). Tonight all of the housemates got together and we made assam fish head curry, roti john and roti prata for dinner. It was fantastic, except that the curry wasn't spicy at all (the Germans can't take spicy stuff). Tomorrow after I finish at 7pm I'm going to watch a movie with HN (whee!... but, a week after he asked me, he also asked a fellow colleague and her husband along...). Should be fun. I realised he's a really great friend to hang out with and we never run out of things to chat about, so that's good. Think status quo is great too, things can turn sour sometimes once you cross the line.

Anyway, yep, going to relax a bit before all the studying and working takes it out of me again once term gets into full swing.

No comments: