Saturday, November 18, 2006

The craving strikes

Whilst doing work this morning I was feeling very cold, and I had a sudden craving for congee. So it was that I boiled a pot of rice and water and left it to simmer from about 1pm until I had dinner at 7 plus in the evening. I was really surprised that my skills of agar-ation was that good; I poured the rice into the pot completely by random! And water is of course variable, I added more water sometimes when it started to get less at around 3pm and it was too early to eat.

Hmm, of course, in my dictionary there's no such thing as 'too early to eat', and to be honest I couldn't wait to devour all that congee. But the consistency wasn't what I really wanted anyway, so I decided to be patient. And it paid off. Nothing like a piping hot, hearty bowl of congee with a generous helping of sesame oil on a cold day! It was surely worth all the wait, the occasional stirring, and it was even worth cleaning out the sticky pot in the end. Yum... should have cooked more... I need food right now!

It's funny how most of my food cravings are for the simple, home-cooked things and seldom what other Singaporeans here will crave. Like, they will crave char kuey teow, laksa, etc... although these can also be cooked at home, but I usually crave for simpler stuff. Like congee. Soup. Oh no, I'm thinking of fried bee hoon now... lucky there's no bee hoon in my cupboard, or I think I just might go down to the kitchen and fry some.

Just have to control myself now... and anyway I don't want to gain too much weight like last winter :(

No comments: