Saturday, December 02, 2006

Happy

Got my pay for last week!

It's so exhilarating to convert from pounds to sing dollars and wow, I earn so much from working 22 hours! And then the balloon will burst when I spend money on grocery, bills and stuff cos I pay so much too. Dang.

He didn't add in the Thursday I worked two weeks before 22nd November, but fair enough, they did only ask me to 'come down and give it a try' for that Thursday.

I also didn't realise that tips would actually be added to our wages. Because the waitresses are told to put the extra change and tips into the till and to write down on the receipt the amount tipped, so all along I thought the tips just goes to the boss. I actually thought it's a good idea, cos on days when there are two waitresses working, it would be quite unfair really if the tips went to anyone who gave the customers bills and collected the money. Then both waitresses will be fighting to serve customers who are asking for the bill and not attending to the rest instead, right?

I don't care much for the tips but I must admit it was really a pleasant surprise to see that it was included in my pay. It shows the boss' appreciation for our work. Which he also tells us, like yesterday when he told me that I was doing well and I don't seem to panic even though it was crazy yesterday, with all the tables filled by big groups of people who wanted to be attended to at the same time. And I was working alone. It's good to know that my hard work didn't go unnoticed but at the same time I haven't yet managed to accept praise easily. Every time someone praises me, I'll feel really sheepish and not know what to say. I feel too proud if I just accept the praise and thank the person, yet I feel like I'm faking humble if I mumble something about not being good enough. So yesterday I just compromised with lots of sheepish thank you's. *Blush*

Hmm, and now I'm wondering if the chefs get any tips? If they don't, then it's quite sad to work in the kitchen. All that cooking and rushing of orders and no tips? But then again, they don't have to attend to the tables. Each has its pros and cons I guess.

2 comments:

sereneannabelle said...

i belive they share the tips among all waiters and waitresses and chefs at the end of the day. at least that's what happened when i worked in a winebar before.

j said...

yup they share among the waitresses, i just wasn't sure if the chefs get tips as well cos somehow i seem to get quite a lot...