Monday, December 25, 2006

Living out of a suitcase

Sort of. The mould in my room has been back for quite some time and it's beginning to spread in a disgusting pattern on the wall. The landlord said he'll arrange for someone to dismantle the whole wall, clean and dry the plaster, before putting it back again. Not sure how that's done.

So since NH is having a romantic Christmas with his girlfriend in Phillipines, he has kindly offered me boarding space in his room. Which is so much bigger than mine but is also very messy, and with both his and my indoor clothes airers taking up quite a lot of space. And I can't use his cupboard so the only thing I can do is pile up the stuff in my suitcase. And some on one of the airers. (The other one is for drying clothes.)

I'm turning his room into some sort of laundromat as well, because when I moved my clothes out of my cupboard, I was unpleasantly surprised by mould growing in the innermost, darkest corner. It was nauseating... and even more horrific to find out that some of my clothes were contaminated with mould too. I just stood there staring at the clothes, not knowing what to do with them. Some I could throw since I've never even worn them this year, but others... well, I think I will wear them, just not so often. So lots of clothes went into the washing machine (with a generous dosage of washing powder!), and thankfully NH's room is big enough to accomodate two airers. Mine is too small and once I open up my airer, I just have about enough floor space for three persons to stand still doing nothing. And that's after they squeeze into the room so that the door can be closed.

But despite the hassle of having to move my stuff (don't get me started on moving, I hope I'm not going to find new housemates or a new house next year), I'm enjoying NH's room. Because when YR moved out, our previous internet line went with him so NH had to sign for a new line. Which, thanks to the way internet companies work here, was only activated (modem delivered on the same day) after NH left for Phillipines. And somehow we couldn't configure the router which YR is lending us until NH buys a new one on his trip back here via Singapore, not even when we asked two other computer science students to come over and try. Apparently it's different from what they do in Singapore.

Which all boils down to one thing: I can use the modem in NH's room!

It's worth it to live out of a suitcase just for the sake of having internet connection. And a nice comfy bed on which I can sleep right next to the wall, toss and turn, without having that subconscious knowledge that I'm sleeping next to mould. Yea, I did move the bed away from the wall but there's only that much I can move it due to space constraint. And I've been sleeping as far out and as close to the edge of the bed as possible... for the past few months. It's become a habit. I've never actually touched the mouldy wall and neither has my duvet moved in that direction.

I just hope the person fixes the room soon, before NH comes back on 29 December, then how? I don't want to sleep sofa leh...

No comments: